AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Changing up the cropping plan - thinking of planting sorghum instead of Corn next year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 10/31/2014 07:36 (#4153314 - in reply to #4153063)
Subject: RE: Changing up the cropping plan - thinking of planting sorghum instead of Corn next year

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
If you want to fix the over supply of corn by planting milo...more power to ya. I'm right behind you...planting corn.
I quit milo a few years ago for a few reasons. Corn genetics have it yielding as much as milo even in dry years and corn has more top end potential in favorable years. Corn will stand and that makes harvest go much better. Also, I'm more efficient at harvest. I can pick corn on cloudy days while you just about have to have sunshine to cut milo. Also, I can run longer hours picking corn. With milo you usually have to wait for it to dry off in the mornings. Weed control...still more options with corn.
One year there was a 30 cent premium for milo otherwise most of the time it is 20 to 30 cent discount to corn.
Since I don't harvest the few beans I have myself I would have to get a header for that. Just doesn't pencil out for me but there is probably a place somewhere for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)