AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9650 STS - auger shear pins?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/25/2014 07:19 (#4144098 - in reply to #4143747)
Subject: RE: 9650 STS - auger shear pins?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Jd7730 - 10/24/2014 20:55

It is probably something with the vertical auger and/or the splines on one or the other side of the elbow gearbox. The auger could have gotten thin flighting and rolled back or the splines on the top of the vertical auger stripped out, same goes for the splines in the long horizontal auger coming off of the elbow gearbox. It could also be the elbow gearbox itself. I would try to inspect as much as possible…after removing grain you can remove the chain and isolate the cross augers from the list…small chance one of them broke or something. Then, remove inspection covers on horizontal auger…see what you can see. Look over the bottom end as well…those bearings go out too or the splines could have let go on the short stub shaft on the bottom. If you do not find anything, you will have to disassemble the end of the long horizontal auger and slide it out enough to get at the elbow and remove it. Then you can see the splines. My guess is either splines on elbow or vertical auger flighting. Either way, if I am right and you have the parts available, I would suggest just redoing it completely as long as it's apart. It seems like when one of those things happen, the rest is not too far away either. Hope this helps.

This pretty much describes what happened to my 9650STS last year. Broke a shear bolt while unloading on the go. I replaced the shear bolt and the new one snapped right away. Of course, the grain tank was full. I drove the combine to my nephew's feeding floor and pulled the access doors. With prodding, the tank was eventually emptied. In my case the vertical auger had been worn so much that the flighting bent over towards the top.

Using a Vac to empty would have been a better plan than the way we emptied the tank. Now that the access doors on this auger have been made smaller (for safety I hear) the grain does not flow out very well. In my case the tank was completely full so there was quite a pile by the time we got it empty. We had to move the combine to get it to empty.

It was a considerable job to replace the vertical auger without the proper tools. The vertical auger must come out the bottom and is heavy. I brought my used auger back to the dealer and they put it on display to warn others. I mentioned that it was quite a job but between three of us we got it done. The parts guys son also worked at the dealership and his Dad said that the son had just done one the day before alone. I asked him how the son could have possibly done the job alone. He said that the dealership had bought a wallboard ceiling jack from Home Depot and modified it with a cradle to support the lower end of the auger assembly for removal and installation. These are the jacks that have a base and a winch affair to help hold wallboard to the ceiling as it is being installed.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would investigate some type of jack. We used forks and a pallet but this was really very safe or handy. Good Luck.

Edited by tedbear 10/25/2014 07:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)