AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often do you implant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MichBeef
Posted 10/24/2014 21:03 (#4143611 - in reply to #4143578)
Subject: RE: How often do you implant?

Breckenridge, MI
We're raising calf-fed Holsteins from 200 lbs to finish. When I started working here there were 2 implants given for the 14-16 months it took these things to finish. Origionally they gave a Compudose at arrival and Encore 6 months later. While both of those are good implants I'm sure I just can't believe that they really last as long (200 and 400 days respectively) as they claim to. So here's what we do now:

Arrival: Ralgro
(70 days on Ralgro)

10 weeks later: Synovex-C or Component-EC
(105 days on Synovex)

15 weeks later: Component-ES
(+- 95 days on Component)

5 Months pre Slaughter: Revalor-S
(154 days on Revalor-S)

The way it's set up is so that there's a little play in there with when they get the last implant. I'd like that last implant to go in about two weeks later but handling them at that size isn't an option for us. As a rule I think you should start with a gentle implant and work up to a more potent one.

To plan a strategy its easiest to start with a estimated number of days on feed and work backwards. Say you figure 270 days and want to use a terminal implant for the last 140, you're left with 130 days which is about right for anything that isn't Ralgro or Component-C to be given at arrival. Or wait until you booster for the first implant and you're down to 100 days on the first implant.

Hope that helps, I'll try and find a website that I found once with all the implants listed and how long they're active for.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)