AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notill success
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iafarmerken
Posted 10/25/2014 08:37 (#4144194 - in reply to #4144183)
Subject: RE: Notill success

Western Iowa

ernestf - 10/25/2014 08:21

Very interesting discussion. As with tilled systems the success or failure of a notill or reduced tillage system depends on the individual farmer. One who believes can make it work well. I sometimes ask growers who say notill won't work if they blame low yields in their tilled systems on tillage. They never do, but they are quick to blame notill for any problem that arises in a notill system.

I disagree. This isn't always the case.  I had an 80 that I put a lot of time and effort into 100% not till. Worked 2 out of6 years well. It was drained well and sampled to death. Years it didn't rain it worked well. Years it rained was a nightmare. Cold temps, ruts in the spring and fall, compaction, pressure from landlord (50-50). If someone were to tell me that it was my fault that it didn't work back then I might have traded haymakers with them. Not really but man was it frustrating. Weather is the number one reason for failure on this farm. (or soil condition from weather) Soil type is second. You could put your 100% of your time into a tract do everything right and no till may still fail.

That being said, I am doing my best to no till when and where I can.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)