AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calves going to wheat pasture video I put together
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 10/24/2014 10:19 (#4142980 - in reply to #4142831)
Subject: RE: Calves going to wheat pasture video I put together

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
I'll try to answer all the questions.

>Usually will train them with a wire for a day or two before turning out. These had not been trained very well at all. So the cattle guys put a wire in the wheel corrals for an hour or so, then let them out and followed them around until they had been all over the place. Not a perfect situation, but the guy letting them out really has "cow sense" and is good at getting them settled down.

>There was a shadow the wheel was casting on the ground, and it was making them jump or stop.

>Price? I have been hearing prices all over the place, but most is bringing $.50-$.65 per pound gained. Depending on how much the wheat farmer puts into the care.

>We will graze up until March 1st, then monitor the situation and decide if we will graze it off, or save it for grain. As long as they are pulled off before the wheat starts jointing, you don't lose any yield. And as thick and big as this wheat is, it will actually help to get rid of some of the excessive growth.

>GoPro is a very popular video camera. They have lots of different mounting products. You can strap them to all kinds of interesting perspectives. One of our resident AgTalkers Old Pokey has posted dozens of action shots of farm equipment he has built and modified.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfYXjpXmFVnXhIWAanKfbrg

>I put my camera in my coat pocket, or was holding it. It did not turn out as good as I was hoping as it was pointing at the ground too much!

>The cattle won't be supplemented with anything except free choice mineral and sorghum/sudan hay. It is rare they will be needing anything extra except energy when we get really cold. There have been plenty of studies and it is rare to be economically worthwhile to feed them when they have plenty of wheat to graze.

Edited by milofarmer1 10/24/2014 10:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)