AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small scale chicken operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RasorFarmsSEOH
Posted 10/20/2014 16:08 (#4136832)
Subject: Small scale chicken operation?

Me and my dad have a small part time farm with small row crop acreage and a small cow herd right now and I would like to get more into livestock to make it possible to work full time on the farm when I get out of school in a few years. I have raised layer chickens before and collected eggs and sold them to family and friends and enjoyed it till a coon got them and I didn't replace them. There are a lot of contract broiler barns going up in my area but I feel like they will come and go and leave the growers with huge barns and no animals in them. I would like to be an independent grower and own my own chickens but I have several questions about doing this. Which way should I go with this? Broilers or layers? Is there a market for a or processing plant I can directly sell to or am I going to have to advertise and sell out of my on freezer? How many head would I have to have to make a decent income off of? Like I said I would have a few hundred acres of row crops and about 20 beef cows for other income. I know how to make feed and give basic care but I'd like to hear from people that are actually doing what I am wanting to do and how they went about doing it. I am located on se ohio. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)