AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

group admin privileges
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ruraltrav
Posted 10/21/2014 09:34 (#4138047 - in reply to #4138020)
Subject: RE: group admin privileges

Great post Torn. We're not trying to accuse you of anything justbad7, just trying to help you out by pointing out some concerns that you will definitely need to be more careful about in the future if you have any desire to work in the IT field (or just the working world itself really) as a profession. Social media 101: whatever you post on the internet is there permanently. Doesn't matter if you delete it, there are ways to view old versions of stuff and if anyone replied to or shared something it just creates a bigger footprint of it too. You probably want to go through your privacy settings and make sure you lock things down better so that a random person on the internet can't view your social media accounts so easily as Torn just proved. The job market is very competitive these days and the "almost brainless IT guy" comment is something that could easily take you out of the running for a job if a company's HR department is doing a good background check. Any negative comments about your employers, co-workers, even any questionable pictures or posts that are non-work related are things that could eliminate you as a job candidate or even possibly violate the terms of your employment when you do have a job. Also I would be careful in the future of insulting IT professionals you work with or rely on, the last thing you want to do is get on the bad side of IT as if you want prompt response they are less likely to get to your requests or problems when they know how you feel about them. Trust me, I do end user support and there are people that have reputations in the office that I am less likely to drop everything to help out or do a favor for than someone who is pleasant and appreciates the work I do and I know most people in IT probably think the same way.

This is exactly why you should try to stay as anonymous and vague as you can on the internet when you work in the IT field. I cringe when I see someone put their job title and company name on their profile such as "Database Administrator for " That's an invitation for hackers to try to hack your social media and personal email accounts and guess what, if they get the password for that what do you think the next thing they are going to try and do? Use those to see if any of them possibly match up with any accounts you use at work and with the number of large data breeches this past year (Target, Home Depot, JP Morgan Chase) you can bet some people lost their jobs in those situations who probably weren't being careful with their online identity being secure. You came here seeking advice and you've received some pretty good advice so far I think

Edited by ruraltrav 10/21/2014 09:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)