AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calves with scours
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben1912
Posted 10/19/2014 10:51 (#4134784)
Subject: Calves with scours

Northwest Missouri
Have calves out of some heifers that almost all developed scours over the past two days. Wondering if there's anything else I could be using to treat them. Given them scour bolus and a shot of draxxin and the ones that were especially bad tubed some electrolytes and gave them some kaolin pectin. Most kinda got over it but the worst ones are still having trouble.
I know everyone is gonna say prevention is the key but I gave all the heifers a scour shot before they calved and gave the calves an oral scour dose (can't remember the name) and an oral vitamin boost supplement when they were born. In years past I had moved the heifers that hadn't calved to a new pen about every 3 weeks to keep them separate from the older calves. Didnt have enough pens to do that this year. Wish I had made more pens or something now but even when I did keep them all separate I still had a few develop scours.
I know some people are gonna say talk with your vet, but you guys must have a better vet than I do, cause I always learn more from other producers than I ever do from him.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)