AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OK I'm a believer in Hagen's Penetrating Fluid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/12/2008 08:27 (#355922)
Subject: OK I'm a believer in Hagen's Penetrating Fluid

West Union, Illinois

If you recall in a thread about penetrating fluids back in February

http://u15205752.onlinehome-server.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=43634&mid=311310#M311310

Jon discussed a home brew mix of 50/50 ATF and Acetone.  I kind of went "Yeah, sure"  but in a moment of weakness at Rural King bought a can of acetone, a quart of ATF, and an all metal squirt can.

At a sale a few weeks ago I was standing at one end of the rack wagon when they held up a couple Rigid pipe wrenches I hadn't seen.  I bid $3 and got them!  I knew something was wrong.  One wrench had a missing jaw, the other looked like the head had been buried in the dirt.  We took it home and cleaned it up a bit. The adjusting ring looked like it had grown into the handle and sliding jaw.

We leaned it up against the anvil in an empty can and  every time we walked by squirted some miracle fluid on it.  The only exceptional thing we did to it was pick it up and beat it on the anvil every once in a while.

Thursday afternoon as we were preparing to leave the shop I beat it on the anvil and everything moved!  We got to working with it and all three pieces came apart.  We've wire brushed and cleaned and repainted it IH red (sorry Rigid, it was what we had) and black.  It looks pretty good for a $3 pipe wrench. 

I guess I should go take a couple pictures of it.

Anyway, we are now believers.  Jon is now our penetrating fluid prophet. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)