AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kids with A.D.D.?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 10/2/2014 06:59 (#4104454)
Subject: Kids with A.D.D.?

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
Does anybody have any children that have been diagnosed with some kind of attention problems? What were some of the symptoms? Any good solutions? How did they do in school?

I'm beginning to worry about our daughter. She reads excellent, but has really struggled with comprehension. Have to stop constantly and ask, "ok, now what is going on, why did the character do that, where are they?" to make sure she is understanding what she is reading. That has improved some since we have worked on it. Has a pretty good vocabulary. She can do crafts and things, will finish projects about like any other 8 year old I suspect.

But here lately she is really struggling with grasping mathematics principles. Always has in fact. But it is getting harder and harder for her. Basic word problems she tends to totally ignore what the question is asking, goes off on a tangent and writes numbers down that don't make sense at all.

I realize some of the math papers they do were written by idiots to start with. But simple things like learning to estimate to the hundreds or tens place she is not getting. She can muddle through the math homework every day if we constantly check her work, have her correct it. I'm getting tired of us spending 2 hrs every afternoon on math homework. Then she makes horrible failing grades on the tests.

She watches very, very little TV. No music on when we are working. Very limited on sweets and caffeinated drinks. She has a good high protein breakfast, school lunch (good???) and a healthy snack when they get home.

Beginning to wonder if professional evaluation is in order, but cringe at the thought of it knowing all the hack jobs there are out there pushing pills.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)