AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why did tractors come with a single front wheel?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 10/2/2014 09:29 (#4104753 - in reply to #4104502)
Subject: RE: Money?

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Back when hydraulics first came to the farm, the cylinder was considered part of the tractor.

Some of the early systems could only run one cylinder.
As the first Deere row crops with Power-Trol. You had the one cylinder inside the tractor for the rockshaft, cultivator lift, or other mounted stuff. And one cylinder on hoses. Cylinders for implements were called Remote Rams.

Done using the pull type plow. Un-pin the cylinder from the plow and hang it on the tractor hook for the next use.

I remember pricing a new 4020 about 1964 [One of my Weaker Moments] Dealer priced it with 3-point, two remote vales on the tractor, but only one remote cylinder.

And at first quick couplers were not used - What we often call Pioneer Tips today.
Deere had some kind of deal that plugged into the deal behind the seat. And I kinda think the rockshaft would not operate if the remote ram was in use. Sure could be wrong on that one.

I think IHC used a cylinder on hoses to lift the cultivator. Not sure.

In 1959 a new Oliver 880 came with a two valve hydraulic system. One set of outlets at the back.
The left lever was for a cylinder stored on a hanger on the left fender. Short hoses to the hydraulic deal under the dash.
Right lever for the rear outlet. Cylinder stored on hanger on right fender.

Our first hydraulic was a new in 1950 Allis-Chalmers All-Crop Harvester model 60. It had hydraulic lift on the cutting platform. The old All-Crop was a hand lever.
And I think the hose connection was a NPT union. WD tractor.
Soon there was a Pioneer type tip setup. A male on the tractor, another male on the hose. And a double female between.

The single front wheel were to cultivate veggie crops planted in narrow rows. Also to run in beds.
Not very many of them in row crop corn and bean country.
I don't think I ever saw one until people started to get serious about tractor pulling.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)