AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need help with freezer lambs on pasture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jbweston
Posted 10/1/2014 21:54 (#4104091)
Subject: need help with freezer lambs on pasture

Central Ohio
Raised a lot of 4-H and FFA livestock in feed pens growing up, but this summer my wife and young kids and I decided to make use of the 1 acre pasture in our yard and raise 5 freezer lambs. Has gone pretty well, but there is a learning curve.

One thing I have learned is this, we need to do something different to get them to finish out in pasture with a little feed supplement. They have been happy and healthy, but not putting on any cover. We keep upping their feed supplement to try to get them to finish out a little. We got them in April and purposefully put them on the slow boat so they would keep the pasture down all summer. They are going to the packer in a couple weeks.

What we have in the pasture is essentially mixed grasses with a few areas of broadleaf weeds. I think I need to over seed with something more nutritious to balance the pasture out. Might have something other than lambs in the future so I just want good all around nutritious grazing. Maybe fertilize too.

Any suggestions? I was thinking clover and/or alfalfa. Can I spin it on with a hand spreader? Fall or Spring?

Also what breed would have the best tendency to finish out on pasture?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by jbweston 10/1/2014 21:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)