AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions about seeding cereal rye this fall
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 10/1/2014 10:31 (#4102904 - in reply to #4102881)
Subject: RE: Paul... we typically were late in fieldwork, applying slurry, etc, and planted late Nov, 1st Dec

southern MN
In my part of the state, back when we grew rye, we had tough winters, dad tried winter wheat and it had poor stands more times than not, couldn't handle whatever combination of heavy soil, lots of snow and moisture, cold temps, etc.

Rye worked. But it liked some fall growth to build up the roots and enough top to catch some insulating snow cover in our blizzard winter winds.

It certainly grows and survives to some degree a whole lot, but here if you want it a nice thick crop to take to seed you wanted some fall growth.

The original poster is in a bit lighter ground and a bit drier I would guess, and the rye might do well even with the extra stress in that environment.

As he says, its a work in progress and worth experimenting with.

There was a rye mill in my town until the 1980s when it burned down; then there was a Peavy branch elevator also in town that bought rye from the Dakotas, that branch got sold to a local coop some years ago. So it used to be easy to sell rye locally.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)