AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions about seeding cereal rye this fall
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CulverB
Posted 10/1/2014 07:55 (#4102593 - in reply to #4102252)
Subject: RE: Questions about seeding cereal rye this fall

Eastern SD
With corn prices like they are, I'd try combining it. Had my best rye crop ever this year @ 59bu. Got $7.50/bu. low input cost and easy to grow. Local elevator cleaned rye all summer long. Most of it came from Canada and mn. far as I know it all goes south for cover crop. Most people scared of it cause it can go down so over fertilizing is something to watch out for. I always fertilize in fall because spring timing can be tricky. Also seems to get off to better start having food right away in spring. Always seems that by the time the ground is firm enough to support the weight of spreader the rye is to tall, and leaves tracks which can be seen all summer. Wait as long as you can. I usually wait till November, and try and time it with a rain or snow. By then the ground temp is under 50. also cows can graze in spring and still get a crop. Even chopped for silage couple times and double cropped with beans. Very versatile crop. Planted our oat stubble to rye mid September and it looks great! Hope it turns out as good as last year. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)