AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for the veggie guys?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rook
Posted 9/30/2014 19:40 (#4101693 - in reply to #4101602)
Subject: RE: Question for the veggie guys?

SW Minnesota
I was a rep for a large cannery for about 8 years, and now I farm in a different area. If I could grow veg crops where I live now, I'd do it for sure. I dealt with about 3000 acres of peas and 7000 acres of sweet corn annually. I can tell you that peas can make the best farmer look terrible, and the worst farmer look like a genius. Anybody that disagrees with me hasn't grown them! Granted, on a good year, the better ground (well drained) will outyield the bad ground. If you have too much rain or not enough, they'll just die and there is no way around it.

Sweet corn is MUCH more stable than peas. I think you can get a better top end out of peas, but it's a one out of four year type of thing. Crops that follow your vegetable crops always do better. It gives you a chemical rotation so you aren't using the same things over and over. And, like you said, NO fall harvest.

Stick to the sweet corn if you can and ditch the peas. Although, if you had a bad year last year, next year just might be your year!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)