AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fertilizing soybeans and CC for best yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Olivermaddness
Posted 9/30/2014 19:51 (#4101726 - in reply to #4101473)
Subject: RE: fertilizing soybeans and CC for best yields

Western Wisconsin
+1 I would grid sample first then balance nutrients. If your looking for high yield you need to fed the crop! Macro's P and K in Fall (queried fall P,K in apex 2bu/ac better in fall spreading) Not much but it still pays. Put down a pre herbicide with burndown, second pass Round UP. fungicide at R1-R2 with micros, followed by a sidedress of urea/AMS. Soybeans only fix about 1/2 the nitrogen they really need. The rest comes from Organic Matter mineralization (which isn't enough). If you put the AMS/Urea on to early the plant will just get taller and internodes will space out and higher risk of lodging while not adding yield. You do need mother nature to deliver a beautiful rain in August to help the late season fert app translate into yields and fill the tops. Getting all of these seasonal factors would require a perfect season pretty much. Did you always get what you wanted for Christmas? My guess is probably not, so id try a few acres every year to see what works year in and year out on your farm. Especially with commodity $ BOO! Some years could yield substantially higher and some years could yield the same as the rest of the farm. Have to average the gain over years and draw the line somewhere. I like that your using a cover crop def helps with biology of soil structure!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)