AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Converting 20x32 harvestore for drying or storing shell corn..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 9/22/2014 17:56 (#4088001)
Subject: Converting 20x32 harvestore for drying or storing shell corn..

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
Converting 20x32 harvestore for drying or just storing shell corn..

I didn't want to distract from someone else's thread so rather than replying and getting lost in the shuffle I figured I'd post a new one..

Is there really much of a need for stirators if a person is just using air or drying with heat either way?
I'm thinking of about a 20' bin that holds 5-6000 bu . (or a harvestore that I'm thinking of converting for use of storing dry corn/ or possibly drying it in the unit).. It's a 20x32 and I would think should hold around 6500-7000 bu?

The reason I thought it might be a stupid question was because the other day I had person here that said if I put up any type of bin(or convert my harvestore) I should put the stirators in or the air won't go through all the wet spots... That said, I have a neighbor that has a 5000 bushel bin without them and the last bin he put up was a 6000 but he put stirators in that one..(I think it was because they came with it though)..

If I would convert my unit and put a floor in it would one large blower/fan be big enough or would a person need a couple holes cut in the bin and run 2 fans.. Also should I put some extra vents on the roof so condensation doesn't collect and go back into the unit..

Also my harvestore sits in a place that is going to make me fill it with an auger that dumps it in the side peek in hole and not down the middle.. I'm wondering if this would make much of a difference since it's only 32 feet tall and the side hole is in about 3 feet or more from the edge.. (I'd imagine I could rig something up so I could deflect it towards the middle without causing much trouble)

Another option I'm thinking of is getting a continuous or a batch dryer so I can dry it before putting it in the bin also but I figure I'd still need to be able to push air through it from time to time..

The last question I have is if I should run the corn through any type of a screen or cleaner if I don't go with any stirators. My combine does clean it pretty well to begin with but of course there are always a few fines..
Thanks

ps; I have a 14x50 stave silo that was built in 1975 that sits right next to this unit and we used to use that for high moisture ground shell corn before we put the Harvestore up in 1983(after that it was used for haylage and we used the harvestor for high moisture shell corn) ..I'm thinking of converting this later on if I need extra storage also.. I know with that I'd need to put some extra hoops on it and probably would only fill it up to 30-35 feet also..

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)