AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fencing sheep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 9/22/2014 13:20 (#4087700 - in reply to #4087686)
Subject: RE: Fencing sheep

Oklahoma
Right or wrong, I refence with old barb wire on the ground, about 1 inch up, second strand of barb wire, then woven wire, then 1 notch above the woven, barb, then barb up a to the height you want (depends on the ht of field fence). Once I am done, I hog ring the bottom strand of woven to the bottom barb wire and hog ring the top of the woven to the wire above it, 1-2 places between posts. Keeps the woven wire tight and cows or sheep don't stick their head through. Coyotes/dogs don't seem to want to dig under that barb wire. So far this method limits predator entry points to gates or odd spots like a water gap or sharp terrain changes. But then you can deal with those individually. It is expensive but I use the wire that is there so all I am doing is buying the woven wire. I don't know that I would do a quarter section this way. We have done 5-10 acre pieces then just day graze regular barb wire fields and bring them back of an evening to the main paddocks.

I know some have good luck with electric, when I grew up, electric fences never seemed to work so I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on that now. I know technology has advanced alot since then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)