AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ordering Seed for 2015 and Delivery in the Spring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LGSeedsKS
Posted 9/23/2014 07:18 (#4088953 - in reply to #4088770)
Subject: RE: Ordering Seed for 2015 and Delivery in the Spring

Hutchinson, KS
The seed was ordered and paid for by November 1, in full compliance with the company's offering and time limit for early ordering. That is not waiting until the last minute to order.

It is not possible to take delivery of something that isn't there. My dealer had been trying hard to get the seed. It was not just some of mine that was late, the same was late for other customers too.

Bill, from reading your previous post I knew you had not waited till the last minute to order your seed, I was just addressing other growers I have seen on here posting recently about waiting till late winter or early spring to purchase there seed. Yeah I realize a grower may not be able to place an order for every acre they could have going to corn or beans, as out here as you know, our moisture conditions dictate how much corn goes in the ground. Growers need to realize by placing orders early it gives DSM's and dealers plenty of time to make arrangements to get our growers what they originally ordered and if something comes up such as bad germ or whatever the reason may be, we can be finding you more seed by talking with other growers to confirm their orders to make sure they are going to plant all the seed they have bought, if their not planning on planting it all, we can take it from them and replace another growers order we may have been short on seed. It seems no matter how hard I try I'm never allocated enough seed of a particular hybrid even if I forecast the right amount I never get all of what I ask for. But having early orders gives me time to trade for seed with our other regions to get my growers the seed they want.

With the hybrid or hybrids you had trouble getting I would imagine what happened earlier this year was a lot of companies had record corn production last summer and it sounds like that could be the case again this year. When you have record corn seed production you end up with huge lots of seed, and companies will wait and bag a hybrid lot all at one time instead of doing it several different times during the winter. I'm not sure what determines which hybrid will be bagged first, but earlier season hybrids will come out of the production field first and dry down faster than say a later season hybrid so a company will probably start bagging the early season hybrids first which doesn't help growers in Kansas or any of the Southern states as we plant earlier and mostly longer season hybrids. If you had any early season hybrid you were having to wait on then I would say it was coming from South American which is why it took so long to get it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)