AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4020 Neutral safety switch????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 9/18/2014 20:31 (#4081347)
Subject: 4020 Neutral safety switch????

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
1966 JD 4020 Diesel Syncro-Range transmission on corn auger last 2 days of corn harvest, 2012-starter would not engage. Keep hitting starter switch, finally would go. took to mechanic after harvest-cleaned up and checked out starter, new solenoid, and new neutral safety switch.

2013- works fine.

spring 2014-starts acting up again on rotary mower. Take back to mechanic, another new solenoid, looked starter over, bring it home, works fine the couple of times I use it the rest of the summer.

Today, starts fine in shed after sitting for weeks, hour later nothing. For some reason, I grabbed gear shifter, immediately starts. couple hours later, nothing. Grab shifter and move it, starter engages for millisecond, then not. Finally had to resort to the illegal screwdriver trick, which I hate to do, to get to shed for evening.

Common sense says it is the neutral safety switch again. Is it located behind the right sided battery? Very hard to replace myself? will check wiring in area. Does linkage of the transmission shifter come into play, externally or internally? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Regards, Bruce.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)