AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prospects for agribusiness graduates in the US job market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

johndeere1993
Posted 9/16/2014 05:58 (#4076889)
Subject: Prospects for agribusiness graduates in the US job market

Queensland, Australia
Hey everyone,

So long story short an American girl took my eye several years ago and we've been dating ever since. I've spent 3 or so months over there in the last 2 years and love it over there. I am nearly 21, studying a dual degree in Agribusiness + Agronomy and am due to graduate next semester (July 2015) so now I'm starting to get a feel for the job market. We originally had the plan that I'd move over straight away but I'm always hearing how hard it is to get jobs over there which has started to make me reconsider my plans. My main thought process behind this would mean that experience over here would make me a more attractive candidate once I go over there. Not to mention that there is a huge demand for graduate jobs in Australia. Ideally I would love to get a job with Cargill in Aus then get a transfer overseas but the graduate program starts in the new year (runs for 12-18 months) which leaves me in limbo for 6 + months. Fortunately American/Canadian grain companies (Cargill, Viterra, possibly ADM) love to acquire large Australia grain companies which could possible give me a few avenues to investigate.

I'm aiming to work in grain merchandising and had a bit of a look around on the US job boards the last few nights. I surprisingly found several graduate positions, particularly a lot with CGB Enterprises and I think I recall seeing one with Cargill (not 100% sure). My girlfriend is locked into physician assistant school in Arkansas for the next 2.5 years so I'm really limited to location. (another reason why I'm thinking about staying here)

I thought this would be a good place to ask what is the health of the job market for agriculture graduates over there? I have heard mixed things although most have been from people outside of the industry. In Australia there is a huge shortage in graduates which I always thought would work to my advantage. I see my strong farming background and passion for agriculture as a huge advantage in the Aussie job market but I'm wondering if employers value it over there as well?
Thanks!

Edited by johndeere1993 9/16/2014 07:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)