AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bridging Frontier Router
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

gmoney
Posted 9/16/2014 07:36 (#4077050 - in reply to #4075709)
Subject: RE: Bridging Frontier Router

SC Wisconsin
I did call my ISP (Frontier) and after fending off the "we don't support third party routers" talk a couple times, I finally got them to answer the question about authentication. He claims that if the DSL Modem/Router is in bridge mode, a third party router can authenticate (assuming I have it set up properly). He also said there is no MAC address filtering, etc that I need to have reset on their end. All the instructions I've seen online say to set the connection to bridge mode, and disable the dchp server on the dsl modem. They are consistant across forums, and pretty simple, so I don't think I'm screwing that part up.

I wonder if what you describe is how I have it set up today in "routed bridge". From a different site, not sure how accurate it is....

Routed Bridge means the modem provides LAN ips and shares internet connection directly from it.

Bridge mode means the modem will give a public ip to a computer/router connected to it.

If routed bridge works and won't impact my performance, I'm inclined to leave as is...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)