AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bridging Frontier Router
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

gmoney
Posted 9/15/2014 09:29 (#4075400)
Subject: Bridging Frontier Router

SC Wisconsin
Networking is an area I've never been good at, and I know we've got a few experts on here. I'd appreciate some advise on my home dsl modem/router setup. Currently, we have a Westell 7550 from Frontier sitting in front of an Asus RT-N66U router. While the Westell does have routing capacity, I feel better using the ASUS simply because I have more control over the functionality, firewall, firmware updates, etc. That may be a mis-informed opinion, but it makes me feel better.

I've tried and failed multiple times to get the Westell into bridge mode, and have the Asus do the PPPoE authentication. I keep getting errors back that the ASUS isn't connected to the internet. Finally, I gave up and put the Westell in Routed Bridge mode. It at least works then, but I'm not sure how wise it is to have two routers back to back.

So I think my initial question is - is there a performance hit or security concern about running in Routed Bridge vs. Bridge mode? If there is, then I'll need some help troubleshooting what I'm doing incorrectly. There are a lot of tutorials out there on bridging the 7550 but somewhere I'm doing something incorrectly either with it, my Asus router, or something else entirely...

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)