AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heart surgery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ct4613
Posted 9/20/2014 01:00 (#4083527 - in reply to #4073282)
Subject: RE: Heart surgery

SE North Dakota
my dad had valves replaced in his heart in 09. I know recovery time depends upon if they split your ribcage to do it, or they can go in from between the ribs without splitting. They had to split his to do it because he had issues from pacemaker/defribulator. Then when they stiched him up, a bone sliver cut his heart and he nearly bled out, so they had to open him up again to fix it. He had it in march of 09, was in the hospital for almost a month, was planting beans by the middle of may. Couldn't lift much, but he wasn't gonna miss planting. Its getting to be a pretty routine thing. I know they use valves from pig hearts, or mechanical ones. Dad has mechanical ones. When its really quiet or he gets worked up, or is working hard and his heart rate goes up, it sounds like a clock ticking in a towel. He hates flying, so he gets some pretty interesting looks on a plane. I'd say it took at least 6 months for full recovery, but it made a world of difference for him. He's 62 and will still outwork most anybody. He had his done at mayo in Rochester Mn. One thing I remember them stressing is to stay away from mold, and other fungus. Something about infections where the valve and heart meet. Naturally he doesn't listen, cleans out bins every year. No issues so far. Had heart issues since he was a kid. He's died 3 times now, 2 cardiac arrests, and once getting his first defribulator put in. Sure hope he's got six more lives left. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)