AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Now that's just plain sad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 9/2/2014 14:21 (#4052007)
Subject: Now that's just plain sad.

First, let me set this up. I am a 51 year old single male that thinks a clean pair of jeans and t-shirt is equal to a suit. Each funeral or whatever I go to, I end up buying new clothes as my old is either out of style or does not fit (usually does not fit). So I end up donating them to good will a few months later.

For mom's funeral, there was no way I would be allowed to just sit in the back corner of the church and not be noticed. I had to be up front, center stage. So I went around looking for something to wear and could find nothing in triple extra fat so I ended up at men's warehouse. Pulled out some cash and said other than black pants, just dress me for my mothers funeral.

Guy takes my measurements and brings the pants to try on. While doing so, I jokingly, but with serious undertones said I sure wish I could wear my cap. Short of finding a shirt, he got called away for a minute. At this point a young lady, I'd say about 40 or so, stepped up and said she had heard my comments and I could most certainly wear head gear, just not the ball cap or cowboy hat. She asked if I would mind her making some suggestions. I told her please do. She come up with the shirt and tie and then brought up a couple hats. When she got to the ascot, she said that's it, perfect ensemble for my build and skin. Guy shows back up and agrees.

So at the funeral, mind you I dont do well with large groups, and certainly dont expect comments on my clothing. I hear the "wow you sure look dapper" (to which I had to look it up what that meant) more than once and many relatives accuse me of getting married and not telling them as they knew full well aint no way I could dress this good on my own. Where did you go for this and I'm getting one of those ascots etc., etc.

So this morning I was in the area and stopped at men's warehouse to say thank you to the young lady that helped me. She was there. I told her that though she likely did not remember me, she had put together the ensemble and I wanted to say thank you for such a great job. You'd think she just won the lottery or something. She got all teary eyed and said in all the years, she had never had someone stop in to tell her thank you for a great job. Mind you I was in my work clothes and certainly did not fit in in this store, but she just gave me a big ol' bear hug and said  I just made her week. 

It just seems sad that no one takes the time anymore to recognize and thank someone for helping them out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)