AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drowned out spots in new seeding alfalfa?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/2/2014 14:52 (#4052036 - in reply to #4051951)
Subject: RE: Drowned out spots in new seeding alfalfa?

Little River, TX
Unless the seedlings actually drowned you have wet foot root rot.

There are a number of Wet Foot Root Rot's and as Warren Thompson KY & America's Alfalfa Used to Be. if you need resistance to one you need resistance to all of them PRR, Aph race 1 & race 2 with the highest level of resistance you can find.

I proved that to my satisfaction in 2007. A wet year.

My Father had alfalfa drown out. Then I learned about Wet Foot Root Rot, a fungal disease. Later I learned it was Phytophthora M. M . though I never learned to spell it. (Phytophthora ) Also there are Aphanomyces Race 1 & 2 maybe by now race 3.

There are a few varieties with High Resistance to PRR and even fewer with Aph resistance. If you also need Potato Leaf Hopper resistance, you are up a tree.

If you want you can replant alfalfa. The autotoxicity is a truth but not a universal truth. Just like Cotton Root rot will kill alfalfa. Not everyone has cotton root rot. The Greek name for cotton root rot ( or if you wish Texas Root Rot ) is much the same as Phytophthora but it is not exactly spelled the same, or in this case misspelled.

If you want something else but it looks like alfalfa try Byrseem Clover. I can not spell Birseam clover ether. But oit does well with wet feet, HERE.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)