AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dairy cow/pair
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

minn gopher
Posted 9/2/2014 14:23 (#4052009 - in reply to #4051796)
Subject: RE: dairy cow/pair

Pine City, MN
yongfarmer89 - 9/2/2014 10:22

minn gopher - 9/1/2014 22:57

yongfarmer89 - 9/1/2014 21:25

minn gopher - 9/1/2014 09:50

yongfarmer89 - 9/1/2014 20:39

minn gopher - 9/1/2014 08:46

68milkman - 9/1/2014 19:09

Holstein x Jersey. Some here call them. Hojoes

I call them worthless. I think we only have a couple left.

I'm glad we all have the right to our own opinion. I actually like these Holstein jersey crosses. They are smaller, milk better than a jersey, eat like a jersey, and make better components than a Holstein. I personally don't like Holsteins because they are huge and eat a lot of stuff.

The milk comes from something. You gotta feed em to get milk. I've said it before ill say it forever. I sell milk. Give me a animal that makes the most milk. That's a Holstein.

You get paid on componets!!! In my operation cross bred animals seem to do the best at putting componets in the tank.

Fact is if you have a 4 or 4.1 butter fat your leaving way more dollars in milk on the table than the bonus for high butterfat. That's just simple math.

Just curious how you figure that? I know i beat this point to death with the Holstein guys all the time. I do laugh a little when I look at the dhia results in thew paper and a jersey cross bred herd is ahead of 2 or 3 decently managed Holstein herds.

What
I'm saying is if you have a high BF your leaving milk on the table unless your tank avg. is 100lbs.. Which is impossible to have a 100lbs tank avg. and a 4 BF.. So if you have a 60lb tank avg. and a 4BF you could a have a 75lb tank avg with better or more feed and a 3.5 or 3.6.. The extra money in milk will out way the extra feed cost and bonus for butter fat..

Also to the main 1st point other than a HOJO can't milk like a Holstein there little bodies can't handle milking 80% of a Holstein.. The few we have, have blown out udders by 2nd lac and they look tough.. Regular jersey's are a good efficient animal

Edited by minn gopher 9/2/2014 14:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)