AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looked at some different beef sheds today, now I don't know what to do
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 9/1/2014 15:39 (#4050426)
Subject: Looked at some different beef sheds today, now I don't know what to do

Amherst WI
I sold a guy some rye straw and went up there to get the check today, he has two sheds full of steers. They all looked real nice and seemed like they were doing well in there.

My original "plan" was to put up a 50X120 solar shed with three pens in it that would have 40 head each in. The front (feed rail side) was going to have a 8ft over hang on it to keep the feed dry and keep the snow out.

What the farmer had was what used to be a solar shed now made into a normal machine shed style (each roof was equal in length) with a curtain on the back and the front all open with a 10 foot over hang on it to keep the snow out.

His second shed was an old free stall barn he bought used and then put back up at his place. I REALLY liked the idea of the feed isle all inside. He did too, his only complaint was he wished it was wider, I think that barn was 60X190 with a 14 foot driveway in the middle. He had four pens in this barn. The barn doesn't have any stalls in it and he cleans and beds it once a week. The animals looked like they stayed pretty clean in there considering we had all this rain lately. I also liked the idea that this barn didn't have to face south, which in our space situation would be a good thing for me.

Any thoughts on these types of barns? A was just about ready to sign on the dotted line for the solar shed but now I have second thoughts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)