AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice and tips for harvesting gooseneck corn (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 9/1/2014 20:13 (#4050845 - in reply to #4050047)
Subject: RE: Need advice and tips for harvesting gooseneck corn (pics)

Morris, IL
You and I are going to figure it out together. They clocked 85 mph at local airport i believe, bins pushed in and lots of tree damage. But anyway 70% of our corn looks like that now. Maybe 2/3 of that is against the rows like your pictures, rest is with the rows. Not looking forward to any of it. Our main plan is to combine early, as soon as it's mature and maybe below 30% range we are going to get started. Not very good test but i grabbed some today and tested 41%. Hoping we can get it all out before another wind comes along. We just put up new to us dryer and dryer setup so it's going to get it's first workout, last year was too easy for it. Also put poly on our old 643, headsight sensors, have RTK light bar i could use if needed, have a reel if needed, and we will switch operators to try and keep it running as many afternoons as possible. In 2009 we had corn go down and we were no where near as ready for it as we are now, we were combining some down corn with snow on it, had to be below 10 degrees or combine would freeze over, and it was still 25%, hope to never deal with that again. Good luck and stay safe, down corn tests my patience but getting sloppy is not safe at all. I remember having someone pushing corn into head on a wide row field we did (no reel), thinking back that was not safe one bit but we did it anyway.

Edited by NEILFarmer 9/1/2014 20:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)