AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The market doesn't owe you a profit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 8/31/2014 23:00 (#4049569)
Subject: The market doesn't owe you a profit

Seems to be the consensus right? Caught this quote and thought it was pretty good "Most of all.Agriculture is wonderful,but it doesn't guarantee profits,much less limit losses But if it was good forever Everyone would do it"

Thinking back 10+ years ago (LDP) days it wasn't as good price wise but I always new that I would never get less than $2 for a bushel of corn. Play the game and you could get more. Some years you could get $2.50 pretty easy. Today we no longer have any type of floor. Maybe the new farm bill will change that. Maybe that is why I and others look at the situation a little more perilous than some. I sold corn at LDP levels but today I have not a clue what the floor will be. Crop ins. is far from any kind of guarantee on much more than 120 bushels or so. It's a joke if you ask me. First question a banker asks is that you carry it to protect them. Does no good for me except in the 2012 years and keeps you from wiping out. Marketing tool....No

I remember back in 2004 when I sold half my production in April for $3.27. Cut a fat hog in the --- Now $3.27 is peanuts with expenses. So the market doesn't owe you a profit who does it owe in the food chain? The retailer, seed, the grocer that bit--- all of 2012 that has yet to lower prices either? Been to the grocery store lately? How about the $7.71bu corn below or the $9 oats!

Edited by 1586 8/31/2014 23:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)