AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Day of our Lives
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 8/31/2014 12:13 (#4048539 - in reply to #4048430)
Subject: RE:Ray Jenkins's question.

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
A couple of weeks ago Ray Jenkins asked JonSWKs a rather pointed question about bin space in Kansas. Now Ray Jenkins never makes a frivolous statement or asks a needless question. When he asks a question I pay attention.
Meanwhile an article pointed out below? talked about the logistics of the coming harvest and available storage space. The article claimed that the corn & soybean harvest could total more than 26 billion bushel and the country only has 23 billion capacity. Well I checked those numbers and it is true that our capacity is about 23.4 billion bushel. 13.0 billion on-farm and 10.4 off-farm.
However if you assume a corn & soybean crop of 14.1 & 3.8 respectively, carryouts of 1.18 & .14 repectively that's just 19.22. If you take the other major grain & oilseed crops, peanuts, dry beans, barely, oats, sunflowers etc. convert them into bushels (using some sketchy conversion factors) you get another 2.97 billion bushel for a total of 22.2 billion bushel.
The conclusion is that it will be close but possible, 23.4 vs. 22.2 leaves 1.2 billion slack.
The next question is, "Where is the grain and where is the storage?"
That gets us back to Ray's question.
My question is, " Is this the year where producers in Ill. & Ind. get punished by the basis like the fellows in ND & SD were last year?" Remember you can get away with storing corn on the ground in Nebraska but it might not work so well in Indiana.

Edited by 1234 8/31/2014 12:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)