AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Type 1 diabetics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Greg in NCIA
Posted 9/1/2014 10:44 (#4050110 - in reply to #4047888)
Subject: RE: Type 1 diabetics

North Central Iowa
I have been insulin dependent for twenty five years. I've been on the pump for six years. I turned twenty one in the hospital after I collapsed in front of my truck one day. I had all the classic symptoms, but was young and bulletproof so I ignored them. I took two shots a day for many years and had limited doctors visits. When I got married and started having kids, I finally realized that if I wanted to see my kids grow up and hopefully meet my grandkids someday I'd better start taking better care of myself. I got on the four shot a day program and started testing my sugars more often. I was doing better but my A1c's were still high. Six years ago I decided to try a pump. My endo thought that Medtronics would be the first to have glucose monitoring so that's the brand I chose. I didn't get it with my first pump as it was still in testing, but when my warranty was up four years later, the CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) was available for the new pump. It has been fantastic. During the first four years with the pump my A1c's were rarely over 7.5 which was an enormous improvement over what I'd seen the previous fifteen years. The last A1c I had done in July was 6.5. My endocronologist claims I'm in the top two percent of his patients that have had diabetes for over twenty years. I still need to lose twenty pounds, but he's very happy with my health in general.

I would highly recommend pump therapy, although it sounds like you are doing very well even without it. It does make things easier though. You don't have to worry about using syringes in public, transporting insulin bottles or pens, and if you get the CGMS you can tell if you're high or low. You still have to test with CGMS but you can determine trends and it can use predictive alarms to give you a heads up if you're trending high or low. I have never hurt the pump and I do most of my own work on my machinery. I've bumped it a few times, but never bad enough to hurt it. I had to go to pocket carry because I kept tearing the belt clips off. I have snagged the hose on something a few times, but that doesn't cause any problems unless you cut it, then you just have to change your set. Overall I've been very happy with it and I think I'll live longer because of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)