AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 way radio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/30/2014 06:53 (#4046555 - in reply to #4046275)
Subject: RE: 2 way radio

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Through the years I've heard of various weird things that happen when the 2-way Mic is keyed. Quite a bit of energy is dissipated when the mic is keyed. It is fairly common of hear of GPS disruption. I have experienced this myself. If the mic is keyed in our grain cart tractor, it shuts off the scale. This doesn't hurt anything but requires the operator to turn the scale back on. I heard that a neighbor had a tractor with power shift where keying the mic caused the tractor to shift gears.

With GPS, it is sometimes helpful to move the radio antenna, this is not always the answer with high powered 2-ways. Since I'm close to Weightronix in Fairmont MN, I stopped there and asked about my scale situation. They mentioned that it might be possible to install some type of filter but it would be time consuming and might get expensive. Sometimes a less powerful 2-way radio helps the problem.

We have gotten away from using 2-way radios and rely on cell phones which work better for us anyway. I didn't even install a 2-way radio in my newest tractor (Deere 8310R) so I don't know if I would have had a problem there. Possibly so since I can change stations either at the radio directly or through the command arm.

This hasn't been much help other than to inform you that problems like this do exist.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)