AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

92 day corn in 110 day country.... follow up.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 8/28/2014 13:43 (#4043179 - in reply to #4043155)
Subject: RE: 92 day corn in 110 day country.... follow up.

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana

DVFarms - 8/28/2014 13:26 Do you think the cool weather at tassel contributed to your success? I only ask because I planted some 106 day, which is the earliest I could find, and we are a 113-114 day area. Dealer told me I was rolling the dice since we typically get hot and dry at tassel. My 106 looks just as good as my 113. Both were planted the same day with the difference is my milk line is 1/3 vs 1/2. Also the stalk size is smaller on the 106.

the whole reason I bought the corn initially was to plant on a farm I have never been successful on. i have 30 acres of ground out of 500 now that i have never beaten the county average on. its lighter ground and tends to burn up. i wanted to see if planting a super early # on there would allow it to pollinate early and get it through that typical summer heat when that farm gets dry. well i was going to do this but my dad was able to keep the farm he was renting next to the farm i was going to put it on so i did not want to cause us to have to drive over there twice with the combine. (dad was going to plant 110 day corn on his farm.) so i kept the corn and planted it at the field at my house.

well my backup plan to somewhat of a test of an early hybrid in my area, and somewhat of a reason to get the corn off early to do some tiling before everyone got busy harvesting.

the weather was basically identical while this 92 day corn and the rest of my corn pollinated, so i doubt i see any advantage to the early #. in fact I'm assuming a yield drag. guessing 170 vs 195.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)