AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great article
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

troyinky
Posted 8/28/2014 16:42 (#4043403 - in reply to #4042876)
Subject: RE: Great article

Breckinridge Co. , Kentucky
I can see both sides of this deal. Hey, I know that any calves that I raise are not going to be the " show type " but I know that going in. If my son wanted to compete in a feed efficiency contest or on the rail that would be fine by me. What I do want everyone to consider though is the amount of work, time and dedication that my kid puts into his project. My youngest son shows hogs and is pretty good at it, as a 12 yr old he has taken on the top kids and held his own. Part of his hogs come from a very good friend that raises some show pigs and some are pigs that we have bought from other breeders. We spend a decent amount of money on his hogs but not outlandish money, a good hog can be found with a good eye and can be fed right to make a competitive hog. If a child wants to show pigs and not afford to buy what they consider a top hog, there is showmanship classes where they compete against each other and show their skills. Sorry, life is not always fair and the sooner you realize the better one can cope with it and work to make things better for themselves. I do not treat showing any different than when my kids play sports, you do your best and hope something good can come from it. I will put my kids work ethics up against any other. There is as much pride from the ribbons and plaques won in showmanship then there is in the market and breeding classes. JMHO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)