AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great article
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

AnCy03
Posted 8/28/2014 16:40 (#4043399 - in reply to #4042876)
Subject: RE: Great article...how so?

You say great article, but provide no context. The author sure doesn't provide much in terms of the way of insight or research....just another poor little guy gets beat again article, written by someone that doesn't know a thing about livestock or farming in general. And you're applauding this?

I'm a showring advocate and raise show stock myself and I think this article crosses the line to ridiculous. BOO...HISS....

But guess what? I grew up on a farrow to finish hog farm that didn't survive the 90's that also had a small commercial cow/calf and row crop operation. Most of the people that raise showstock I think you'll find grew up with a production background. Just chose to go another direction with their operation, whether that be for financial reasons or the challenge of trying to make one that pushes the limits and sets a new standard for what other breeders are trying to make. And yes, the commercial business and showring have become two seperate entities and rarely is one animal good enough to cross both lines, doesn't make either pursuit wrong.

Not all of us make big $, not all of us spend big $ and the amount of time we put in to perfecting the art of selecting and feeding the next potentially great one will probably make you shake your head, but it's what we're passionate about.

I guess I don't get where the animosity comes from? Just because I don't always make a buck on everything I do, or because I'm willing to spend more money and time than what you deem as "acceptible" doesn't make it wrong, just different priorities. So congratulations on making a couple extra bucks on that pen of steers or barrows at the kill plant....or bringing that cow/calf pair that needed a few extra groceries a good home and a place for them to thrive.... I sure don't judge you for your pursuit, we need that part of agriculture too. But next time you go bashing those of us that just aren't "practical" and don't understand "real agriculture", please come talk to us first, you might be surprised.

Edited by AnCy03 8/28/2014 16:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)