AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I Crazy: Converting 200bpa corn ground to rotational grazing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

aqf
Posted 8/28/2014 12:22 (#4043065 - in reply to #4042560)
Subject: RE: Am I Crazy: Converting 200bpa corn ground to rotational grazing?

WC Illinois
Thanks for all the replies. I agree that sileage would be more productive use of the ground but I'm not convinced it is the most profitable for me.

Yes Jim, I have really taken a liking to cattle, even before they were so popular/profitable. I really think they are my ticket to build something of my own to compliment our family's crop ground. I reserve the word passion for God and my family, but I'm sure my wife could argue that cattle are as close to those two passions as they can get!

As far as capital....since the get go I have tried to put everything I can into the cattle themselves because that is where the return will come from. Of course, I won't starve a profit out of them. Also can't get excited about putting money into a CD for .5% interest, I really think the cows will return more and reward me for what I have the most of: sweat equity.

I guess the responses I have not heard are should I explore this option or look more at renting traditional pasture that will end up being a lot of work on land we don't own and not very convenient as it will be a ways away. Being able to look out your window and see the herd you are building has a lot of value and not just monetary.

Thanks again for all the food for thought.

Edited by aqf 8/28/2014 12:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)