AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I Crazy: Converting 200bpa corn ground to rotational grazing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/28/2014 09:27 (#4042774 - in reply to #4042725)
Subject: RE: Am I Crazy: Converting 200bpa corn ground to rotational grazing?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I've found it takes a couple years to really reestablish good grass pastures for grazing after it has been in corn/beans. Some clay ground has taken almost 5 years to really get a good, dense, mixed grasses/clover sod reestablished.  Better ground might go quicker.

Good pastures plow up much faster than they grow back.

Maybe do a mix of silage and rotational grazing? What about hay? Depending on where you are grazing stalks can be a big help but the cows still need some hay and maybe more energy as in silage or very good hay.  A neighbor custom bagging my corn silage has cut my winter hay needs in half for northern, spring calving cow/calf.

Run the numbers but don't let other folks in other areas numbers alone discourage you.  If you like being around cattle there can be ways to work your own numbers. There are a lot of hidden equipment costs in corn that may not be obvious. Assume you did not own a combine and corn head, carts, dryer, bins, big tractor, ripper, etc. and the numbers look a lot different. Even if you use custom rates for all corn operations the numbers change a lot.

Start on a a small scale. Look on it as an experiment. This is a time in your life to give it a try.

Good luck.

Jim

Edited by Jim 8/28/2014 09:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)