AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good Help is Hard to Find
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Solomonite
Posted 8/21/2014 14:11 (#4030492)
Subject: Good Help is Hard to Find

Central Kansas
Good Help Is Hard to Find

The great quietness surrounds me. Actually, the only sound I hear is the cat licking herself. It’s very quiet without the kids. School started this week so more adjustments are in store for us. We have to adjust to “time apart.” I will admittedly consider it my “break.”

The kids will be settling into their lockers. Lockers, locker numbers and combination locks are very important it seems. They will also be putting shelves in their lockers. That’s a big thing too. The kids will be socializing in the hallways, (hopefully) making friends with the new kids and reacquainting with the teachers.

I will be catching up on fertilizer splits, bookkeeping and ordering seed wheat. Dustin, the farm foreman, will continue to try to sell the brome, maintain the equipment and clean the shop. The cat will get more sleep.

Today, I stood at the end of the driveway, making sure the farm cats weren’t under the kids’ car and reminded the eager students of all the rules of the road. Three straight faces stared back, blankly. I carefully went through all the safety steps and precautions. I also learned that my son with the farm permit MAKES the others sit in the back for safety reasons. I left that alone.

They were much calmer than when I drive them. It was eerie. Some things are better left to the imagination. I wondered what their mom would think of this as I watched them leave the farm. School is 15 miles and 23 minutes away if you drive 55 mph, of course, and then slow while traversing to the center of Salina.

I called them 5 times before they finally answered. I began calling right when they should have arrived in the parking lot. Gareth answered only my 5th call and calmly explained that he put the phone on vibrate and never answered until they were inside school. I was relieved and felt a bit foolish. It’s going to be a big adjustment, allowing him to drive, regularly. It’s also going to be a big help. I will get more done on the farm. I am very thankful. Remember, he drives them home also!

I’m thankful for all the time he spent with Dustin and I on the farm this summer. Amidst all the activities and events, Gareth not only got ample practice driving, he matured into very fine farm help. His confidence even rose as driving made him feel important and useful. He was very useful to us as he helped us move equipment and made life easier operating the farm.

We miss his help already.

Dustin was very motivational and instructive during the summer. He encouraged safety while driving and always checked on Gareth, making sure his hazard lights were on or his safety belt was being worn and that he wasn’t texting. He even helped certify him after completion of a tractor safety course. I was very pleased with all these accomplishments. He’s very qualified to drive but I still worry about him and his precious cargo.

The day before Gareth left for school, he helped Dustin split wood in the 100 degree afternoon and stack it all very neatly. Too bad his mean old dad won’t let him go out for football! He’s really grown mentally and physically, lately. He’s really in good shape. Prior to this summer, he avoided work on the farm and I had to persuade him to ride along or participate. I’d like him and his sister and his brother to be farmers but I encourage an open mind, as well. It was surprising and a relief to see him take such pride in working this summer. He also sanded down a trailer, learned how to change wheel bearings and planted sunflowers among other chores.

I hope his sister and brother mature like this at age 14. It’s been great.

We had a great summer and I hope the kids learn a lot in school. Dustin is a big asset on the premises, but so is my oldest son. It was nice to hear Dustin compliment Gareth. Gareth has made things easier for us on the farm and we will look forward to afternoons and weekends when he can once again lend us a hand on the farm.

One huge thing was Gareth’s first paycheck. I cashed it at the bank with him and gave him all $700. I think it went through his hands like water. He earned it and I let him have it all. His second and final paycheck of the summer was recently used to open a savings account. He practically drooled when the customer service representative at the bank mentioned he could come in and make withdrawals without me. I urged caution at overspending and encouraged him to merely enjoy the part of the paycheck that was cashed.

Permission to be a dad is wonderful. All of this makes a dad feel older, but useful; not all bad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)