AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

There's more to life than work.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ndred
Posted 8/19/2014 08:38 (#4026365 - in reply to #4026236)
Subject: RE: There's more to life than work.

s nd
I wrote a whole story yesterday, then just let it go, but think I want to chime in on these situations with another perspective. When you have an occupation that deals with weather, sometimes you are at mother nature's beckon call. If you are going to try and have a relationship with someone unfamiliar with these facts, best thing you sit down and talk on how BOTH people are going to have to give and take differently through the year. A city girl moved in with me a hundred years ago, and not once did she come down to the shop and visit me on my terms. A hundred feet from the house. Everyone assumes you are married, but you never said that. Married people are supposed to talk about children wishes, work ethics, etc before they get married. Majority of women around the country would love to be involved with a man that can do what you're doing. I am surprised, and is maybe why many don't believe the number of men leaching off working women.
Sure there is a balance, but both have to make it work. Remember the guy on here that wanted to go to his wifes' first ultra-sound? His dad was pissy for taking the afternoon off with a few jobs left standing, especially some ripe milo ready for harvest. He said milo goes down sometimes when ripe, and just a few days later someone, not him I don't think, posted a picture of a milo field flat on the ground. Holy hell, I thought. How are they going to harvest that field, unless a pick-up reel would get it. Now a normal job just turned into a double or triple hard job, with frustration and regret adding to the mix. I suggested she ask for a later appointment (week), but maybe not realistic in the medical scheduling.
When it rains, you should be on the docket for lunch out close to your wife's/girlfreind's work. If she had plans with the girls for lunch that day, she should have the decency to cancel with them and spend it with you. Common sense goes a long way with me. I'm not hating on her, just saying what I see when us farmers marry women with no experience of this lifestyle. If you're thinking of two weeks off for vacation in june, don't marry a farmer. But do take those short week-ends, or middle of the week trips to keep the peace. I finally said no more women that don't have the same goal in life, and willing to be a partner. I am single at fifty seven, and there's nothing worse. But at least not lying to someone that I will be there every friday for drinks with the office crew and never miss a basketball game. That's on me.

ps There's alot more books out there for people to read that will help you have a much better relationship with someone else. Gary smalley, who said you treat your spouse as a most precious gem. Gary chapman that wrote the five love languages. Don't bring me flowers when it isn't my love language. Turn on a christian radio station once in awhile and learn of these ways to be with your wife in a good way when you're together, so then the other times come with some giving grace. Do hope the best for you and all couples. It can be the best life if we do it with some education and class.

Edited by ndred 8/19/2014 11:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)