AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buck and a half a minute
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 8/14/2014 05:40 (#4017619 - in reply to #4016234)
Subject: RE: buck and a half a minute

Missouri
twraska - 8/13/2014 07:07

I don't have a problem paying $90-120/hr for a TRAINED and  properly equipped mechanic.  What I have a problem with is a 'mechanic' that hasn't a clue what he's doing, just grasping for ideas, doesn't have the proper tools/computer/special tools and reading the tech manual like he's in school.  

Regardless of the level of experience, one of the best things a tech can do is refer to the manual. They don't go to the trouble of printing these things to show the slowest, least efficient way of repairing something. A technician that knows how to balance his talent and experience with the tech manual will be far more effective than one that relies entirely on one or the other. My service manual is 8 INCHES THICK, contains more specs and schematics than one could ever seriously commit to memory, and that only covers planters and grain carts. I don't even call it a manual. I call it the hammer of knowledge. It is the biggest hammer in my service truck.

As far as tools, there's two types of "special tools". Ones that make the job possible (can't be done without), and ones that make it faster and easier. As much as I would love to have all the tools that make the job faster and easier, these tools are expenses out of my own pocket, and the first priority is to having the mandatory ones, so at least the job can be done. The tools that make the jobs faster and easier are secondary priorities. If I divided my tool inventory over my years of service, my (personal) tool expenses are over $5000/year. No one is subsidizing this, not the customers, not the employers, and I think this is pretty commonly the way things are, industry wide. Of course, I would prefer to have the tool that makes the job faster and easier on me, and cheaper on the customer, but considering what I am already laying out in effort to achieve that, I do not feel any sympathy for anyone when a job takes an hour longer because I didn't have a certain tool.

One point I think everyone forgets is, anytime anyone anywhere thinks a service rate is too high, they always have the option to perform their own repairs. If there's such *gravy* in hourly rates for equipment service, then provide your own and see what you learn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)