AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buck and a half a minute
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 8/13/2014 09:44 (#4016370 - in reply to #4016234)
Subject: RE: buck and a half a minute

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

twraska - 8/13/2014 08:07

I don't have a problem paying $90-120/hr for a TRAINED and  properly equipped mechanic.  What I have a problem with is a 'mechanic' that hasn't a clue what he's doing, just grasping for ideas, doesn't have the proper tools/computer/special tools and reading the tech manual like he's in school.   All on my time! 

Or,,,,,, like what happened to my buddy, the mechanic puts the hoses on backward on a hydraulic motor on the baler and messed up several thousand worth of other parts when it went to the field.  Took a second dealer's tech to find & fix the hoses and then fix the incidental damages.  Not to mention the machine was out of commission for a couple of days until is was fixed.  Now the original dealer is 'going to work with him'.  Personally I think it should all be on the original dealer.

Reading the tech manual.

Now-a-days, there may be 28 pages of trouble-shooting steps, just for ONE electronic fault code. So if you think any mechanic can memorize, all those steps, PLUS the other 158 fault codes, on one machine, and all their pages with their T/Sing steps, PLUS all the mechanical stuff and their torque values and pressure testing specs; then expect someone to never open a tech manual, is impossible in Today's world.

In 1970 to about 1990 machines, then maybe, one can get by without a service manual, with enough experience. Not possible, on today's equipment, if any failure pops up, that isn't common, that a mechanic hasn't seen time and time again. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)