AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Something to consider about cattle prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tj33
Posted 7/31/2014 17:59 (#3995268)
Subject: Something to consider about cattle prices

600 new chicken houses and processing plant being built in my area. Had a row crop farmer that has about 100 head of cattle approach me about purchasing land to build 10 houses today. Was looking for a location like mine(away from his house, on highway, relatively flat). I told him I wasn't really interested in selling or building any of my own that I had just started to make a little money on cattle. Then I said maybe I should sell out while times were good. He said yea, some time in next two or 3 years. He makes his living on crops, rice, beans, wheat, probably a little corn, has cattle, and is going into chicken business thinking it'll be better than cattle. He won't quit crops as there is much more money in that than any other farming enterprise in my area. Many other cattle guys and folks with other professions and land doing the same. Many of these folks have land but no cattle.
No point here, just thought this was an interesting dynamic. In this area, chicken business is expanding, cattle business is staying the same or slight shrink, crops aren't changing but everyone believes cattle are on a bubble that will soon burst as many on this site do. Most people I know in cattle business worked some other job for 15 to 45 years until they could afford to get in cattle business then kept job and expanded as they got older.
All this has been discussed here and I sure don't know which way the cattle market will go but there's plenty to consider.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)