AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wonder how many dokota's are rolling in their graves?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bad farmer
Posted 7/30/2014 20:42 (#3993879)
Subject: wonder how many dokota's are rolling in their graves?

no welfare payments on this farm!!!!!!!!
years and years ago people all across this country set out to make their life better. some of them who are much like all the ag talk posters set stakes and decided to provide for their family on a certain piece of land. they took pride in this land and had their lives and generations of family invested in this land and holding on to it. then along came the new wave, and here comes the railroad. oh the story's of how the railroad was going to save the world and make everything better, yes teh story's had to be good cause they needed this land that people were attached to. the stories made it out to where the railroad was going to do this this and this and make everything better. One of the common statements of the railroad story's was how it would make the products you produce on your farm more valuable by transporting them to areas where they had greater value(today we would call that improving basis i think) So here these people who didnt want to sell their land( some did want to sell their land) were told it would benefit them and many generations if they sold to the railroad, It didnt matter if they sold or not cause the railroad would get their way and even convince the powers that be to grant eminant domain purchase rights if they didnt sell. these purchase rights were granted with the understanding that the rail road would help to transfer products, people, and other stuff, which in turn would help the local farmer or economy or town, however you want to say it.

now years later after talking to a farmer from up north tonight who was complaining about his weak basis and saying the railroad wasnt getting grain cars up there, it made me think they are not holding up to their end of the bargin. Just like the army core of engineers taxes the land owner to build a watershed and then builds it right next to a city like lawrence ks where money can be made off of recreation and benefit the people who didnt pay for the construction proportionally, the power of eminant domain to purchase property is once again mis used. The railroad got the green light to come threw and take force the sale of the last 1 or whatever percent of land that wasnt for sale by preaching a song and dance that they would benefit the people of the area, so my take on the railroad is if they used that power and dont hold up to the deal then give back the property or sell it back for that price which they purchased it hundreds of years ago. In other words if your ancestors were forced to sell ground so the railroad could come threw and now they are not delivering your grain or moving products for you like their claims were stated, then I think you are once again taken advantage of by the powers that be.

This is only a opinion of myself and my friend who suffers the pathetic basis, but I am curious to hear others view point on the matter of " if the gov gives the eminant domain power to purchase land for a reason stated and then that purchaser changes what they are doing, should they be held accountable? hope this inpires some thinking and like always sorry for the mis spelled words but i did do some paragraph breaks? yes I know life isnt fair, but I do think the guys up north are getting the shaft when they are told to stop at the railroad trac and stop for a train that doesnt help them one bit espically when that land the track go threw was take from their ancestors.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)