AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heating hog barn offices/utility rooms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ak24
Posted 7/30/2014 07:05 (#3992873 - in reply to #3991883)
Subject: RE: heating hog barn offices/utility rooms

Dayton, OH
Insulation on the outside walls and caulking/great stuff sealing to keep out air leaks is probably the biggest bang for your buck. How warm do you keep that office? a programmable thermostat costs $20, you can run the temps down to 50 when you're not there, you're just trying to keep things from freezing, right? A regular thermostat for $10 bucks that you remember to turn down when you're away would probably work too. A heat exchanger sounds like a pain. If you're interested in heat exchange just don't insulate the inside wall that's up against the growing space.

If you still want to go further I can help you with that. For 110v circuits you can use the Kill-A-Watt (lowes and home depot have them for $20-$30) For 220v we have some other equipment that does the trick. Payback is 10%+ just by paying attention to your bills and adjusting some things, you can save even more if you submeter specific circuits and find bigger areas of waste.

Obviously this can be done automatically with Smart Barn but you can very effectively monitor manually too. This applies to LP/nat gas usage, diesel fuel usage, feed, water, anything you consume. If anyone wants charts/analysis post here or email me a spreadsheet direct, I'll provide you with charts and analysis for free. -Andrew
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)