AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

will EPA be on your case for burying stuff?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/29/2014 05:49 (#3991204 - in reply to #3990162)
Subject: RE: will EPA be on your case for burying stuff?

Chebanse, IL.....

I believe the IL EPA says you are supposed to remove a building to an approved landfill. Probably best to have receipts showing where it went. Re. burning, I believe their position is that only if it "grew" there, could it be burned there. I believe this was the verbal warning for the IL St EPA guy. Meaning if a tree needs to be burned on the spot...OK. But the house or barn didn't grow there. Maybe Abe Lincoln's log cabin did, but most didn't. I'm not sure what happens to you if your house or out-building burns down accidentally due to lightning strike etc. I suppose you could be out of a place to live, but then go to jail for allowing it to happen.

A factual story was related to me a couple of years ago. Local farmer had an old wood/plaster building knocked down & loaded into dumpsters per IL regs. Farmer asked dumpster roll-off driver just what he did with all that lumber. Driver said it's taken to another site just barely inside the IL state boundary & piled. He said then we load it into the larger semi type garbage truck & hauled about 50 mis into a neighboring state where it is piled on the ground & burned. Driver had been involved in the whole process from start to finish.

So, that helps keep IL air clean by not having thousands of little fires & then paying lots & lots (!!!!) of money to dumpster folks to haul it to another state & burn it. To have a track hoe fill roll-offs is not an easy process either. I'm pretty sure the net effect of the entire matter consumed LOTS of fossil energy just to transport the material somewhere else to do what could've been done in a few minutes where the building stood. This entire matter made no sense to anyone involved. All just agreed they were following the laws. At what level of authority would one have to be to have it "make sense" ecologically? This is a factual case, not made up circumstances.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)