AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would you turn your wife loose on a 80ft sprayer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 7/27/2014 20:54 (#3989032 - in reply to #3988612)
Subject: RE: Would you turn your wife loose on a 80ft sprayer?

East Central Ia
deeredriver - 7/27/2014 16:49

bleedred - 7/27/2014 13:26

That all depends on the crops and chemical programs IMO. I would not trust someone to mix chemical batches without years of experience, but with some supervision I would have no problem having her run the sprayer.

She could always start with the pre emerge pass... Pretty low risk of crop damage if someone is helping with the chemical mixing.

Shock horror I blend my own loads every time I load. Have done since the day I was hired on , would you trust your hired man to spray ?

I actually prefer to blend my own loads then I know I have the right stuff on the right crop .

If you have wheat stubble to spray that's a good place to practice , after the first spraying she could just follow the old wheel tracks for the second and third pass of the year .

I also mix all of my own chemicals and I make most of my own blends instead of buying the expensive premade chemicals with fancy names lol.

What I meant is that I would not trust someone to mix chemicals that has not been around chemicals or Ag in general for at least a few years. I also took over the application aspect of our operation shortly after coming back to the farm.

I now save us thousands of dollars by understanding what chemicals are what and being able to buy them cash and carry.

But the way these companies like to change names on us and having stuff in bulk is a recipe for trouble for a novice. A simple mistake like a qt per acre instead of a pt could be very costly lol.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)