AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Heavens sake Chimel.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 7/28/2014 11:13 (#3989944 - in reply to #3989371)
Subject: RE: For Heavens sake Chimel.

Mark (EC,IN) - 7/27/2014 21:13
Yes I disagree with your red meat assessment....it sounds like you are starving on a diet of bean sprouts or something.....go eat a steak, you will feel better. Think about it.....why do we have all these ripping and tearing teeth if we aren't suppose to eat meat?

You didn't even read my red meat "assessment," I said "a bit" less, and only for those who "eat too much of it," and I certainly don't say we should not eat meat. I love steak, just not fast food burgers, don't take it away from my diet.

Eating less red meat is what all doctors worldwide say too, probably another subjective source for you. My personal exceptional weight loss diet for the past months is of no relevance to a regular diet, but if you want, look at the personal diet of all Americans, beef consumption has been going down steadily since the 50s or 70s, don't remember which. That's actual consumption stats, seems pretty objective to me. I seem to remember that American pork consumption has been going down too, more recently.

organic is OK for a specialty market.......BUT.........we can't feed the world with it.

Well quantity-wise, we could already for everything vegetable, especially if we add a bit more local production instead of huge monocultures from California shipping to the East Coast and the rest of the world. Cost-wise, prices would probably rise a bit, although intensive productions such as vegetable farming are about the same, organic or not.

For row crops where you can't spend the same amount of time working on it, just because of the sheer acreage these crops require, yields are definitely lower for now. But I've got a notion that difference will soon be something of the past: Ag scientists already have robotic weeders in the lab in the U.S. and Australia, my guess is that these will be deployed to conventional crops first, because that's where the big money for a definitive solution to herbicide-tolerant weeds is, but organic farmers have a big problem with weeding too, which prevents them from adopting no-till and costs them much more, so they could benefit from such technological advances.

Fruit production is the toughest, but you can already use a few chemicals and still get an organic label. The reasoning is that you can afford to lose an annual row crop, especially with crop insurance, but when you lose a whole orchard, you lose the harvest of many years and have to replant everything, with no yield for the first years, and reduced yields for the few next years.

If I had lived on bean sprouts for several months...

... you'd be dead, not depressed. ;) I don't think a regular diet of sprouted beans is safe, especially some black turtle or red kidney beans that need to be cooked thoroughly to kill some enzyme or some other thing that's real bad for humans. Most types of beans or other pulse are safe though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)