AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

UNL's corn yield model
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 7/27/2014 21:51 (#3989193 - in reply to #3987953)
Subject: RE: Nice map, McHusker

EC Nebraska
McHusker - 7/27/2014 08:56

If people wonder who is upset about their crop, all they have to do is look at NOAA's 30 day % of precip map, http://water.weather.gov/precip/ There is dryland in Nebraska that has had rain, and then there is the rest. I love this map, because it becomes very clear about backyarditis. If they could superimpose a soil moisture holding capacity map on top, then you would get a really good idea of backyarditis.

That's an interesting map. I'm in "medium to dark green" (1-2") on the current 30 day observed precipe map. It looks like about 75% of the state has had more rain than my area in the last 30 days. I find that interesting considering that my dryland corn looks pretty good.
My soils do have good water holding capacity, and that has been improved by good management over the last few years. But very little of my dryland corn is even thinking about firing yet, and this cooler weather will only delay that.

I guess I'm kinda wondering why some guys who seem to have gotten more rain than me are complaining about how bad their corn is already. Maybe they didn't have as much earlier rain, probably they don't have as much soil moisture capacity. That last one is affected a lot by management, tho.

Edited by NE Ridger 7/27/2014 21:55

(NEprecipmap.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NEprecipmap.png (188KB - 36 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)