AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15 inch corn rows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Galen
Posted 7/26/2014 16:23 (#3987081 - in reply to #3986678)
Subject: RE: 15 inch corn rows

NE, KS
Lots of Narrow row guys in my part of the country. I have become the minority in 30" 4 guys in 15" rows. one of them is the neighbor. last year we spit planted an 80 15" vs 30" my seed rep also did a replicated plot 4 times i think. it had 15-20-30" in it at 32K as well 38K so the combination of all that data we a 4 bushel difference from the winner to the loser 20" actually lost 15" was better by 2 bu/ac than 30" I believe. I would not say that 15" get taller but standiblity is a prob Which I think is tied to higher populations. Residue management is also a prob because your row cleaners on the back row want to cover up the other rows if you go to fast . Of course different row cleaners may be better. around here the guys actually took the row cleaners off this year and used a no till Coulter and it worked good (this year). so we have more 15" vs 30" plots out this year so we will see. IMO where narrow row corn belongs is where you are going to grow big yield,s so I have one field that is sub irrigated and I have been throwing the book at it to push the yield shooting for 300+ so will see if we can make the 15" work there
also last years plot yields ranged from 170 to 250 bu/ac

(15 - 30.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 15 - 30.JPG (139KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)